Trick to “tail -f” a log file on a Windows Server with PowerShell

I don’t work with Windows Server much, but recently, I wanted to “tail” a log file of an application that isn’t performing quite right.  Fortunately, PowerShell has a command with an option to do just that.

Just open a PowerShell window and do a

Get-Content -Wait <full path to file>

For example,

Get-Content -Wait 'C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server\data\tabsvc\logs\vizqlserver\vizql-0.log'
Advertisements

Easy way to upgrade macOS applications with homebrew-cask-upgrade

If you have a macOS computer, and you’re in the developer/system administration/devops world, you probably use Homebrew or you should for managing your packages on your mac.

A nice additional to Homebrew is Homebrew Cask for managing your applications and large binary files, so you can do a simple

brew cask install firefox

to install Mozilla Firefox.  The one flaw to Cask is that it doesn’t really have a method for upgrading the applications easily.  Usually, you force a “reinstall” and that’s your upgrade.  Fortunately, there’s yet another addition to Homebrew for Cask upgrading of packages, and it’s called Homebrew Cask Upgrade

To install Homebrew Cask Upgrade, it’s a simple tap install

brew tap buo/cask-upgrade

After that, you just have to do a

brew cask upgrade -y firefox

And you’ll have the latest version of Mozilla Firefox installed.

All and all, it’s getting easier to automate setup and installation of my basic working environment on any macOS machine.

 

 

A panic with no /dev/null on your Linux server

Very early in my professional system administration career, I was lucky (unlucky?) enough to take over a Mandrake server running an alpha release of Samba 2.2.x that was running as a NT domain Primary Domain Controller (PDC).  The system actually ran pretty well, with other Windows NT4 servers attached to the domain and authenticating users to those servers from about 90-100 Windows 95 & 98 workstations throughout the building.

Because the system was running well and working for what we needed, in a production setting, I didn’t tend to tinker with the system, because… it was a production environment.  Over time, my employer started to get Windows 2000 machines and I was testing out how to image and deploy Windows 2000 computers.  In the process, I was creating new machine names over and over and attaching those to the domain.

One day, as I looking at the lists of users on the Mandrake server, I was noticing all the linux users created through attaching those test Windows 2000 workstations to the domain, which is perfectly normal operation for a Samba NT4 style PDC.   Looking at the list of users, I decided to delete all the linux users matching with Window 2000 computer accounts that I knew were gone.

So, I went through and deleted about 10-15 linux users after double and triple checking to verify those accounts weren’t in use and then I deleted those using the command below, which will delete the user account and remove the user’s home directory.

userdel -rf workstation01
userdel -rf workstation02

And that’s where things started going south…. Users weren’t able to log in, printing quit, everything just quit working.  Fortunately, the day was finished, so I was able to tell the couple of people working, I was looking at it and I’d have it working by the next morning. I didn’t add what was running through my head which was “hopefully”

So, after about 6 hours of diagnostic work of looking at logs, reading error messages, and keeping the panic down to a minimum, I realized as the Samba service was creating workstation accounts, the Samba  configuration was setting the linux workstation account with a home directory of /dev/null  Webmin wouldn’t delete /dev/null if it was set as a user’s home directory… would it?

Yes… yes, it would.

So, I had the problem, now to find the solution.  After a hour of trying to figure out how to recreate /dev/null  and not having any success, I called a friend with more experience to come and take a look.  It took him 1 minute to fix the problem and 3 minutes to show me the man page describing how to do it.

rm /dev/null
mknod -m 0666 /dev/null c 1 3

We deleted the incorrect normal file /dev/null and used mknod to create the normal, special device file of /dev/null and the moment we did that, the test printer at the end of the work bench started printing out all the queued test prints I had sent it.

I thanked my friend, who had just earned many lunches on me, and spent 15 minutes calming down and called it a night.   The Mandrake’s kernel never panicked, but I certainly had for an entire evening.

A step on the path

I think it’s time to start a blog. I’d like to remember the things I’ve done in technology, what I’m working on now, and what I’d like to explore.

In time, I expect myself to get a little bit more expressive.